Verstappen suggests 2027 engine proposal would keep him in F1

Verstappen suggests 2027 engine proposal would keep him in F1

Max Verstappen has strongly suggested he will continue racing in Formula 1 next season if a proposal to reduce the engine’s electric power dependency goes through.

The four-time world champion has been a major critic of the 2026 engine regulations, which ushered in a new era of power units that are almost a 50/50 split between internal combustion engine and electric power.

Verstappen is not a fan of what this has done to the way the cars must be driven to charge the batteries - which are still not capable of then deploying full electric power often enough anyway.

The Red Bull driver made it clear during the third race weekend of the season in Japan in March that he was seriously considering his immediate future in F1 based on how little he enjoys the current rules.

Some rule tweaks to mitigate the most extreme consequences of the 2026 engines were introduced for the next round in Miami at the end of April and after that race, the FIA announced that there was a broad agreement in principle to make bigger changes to the engines for 2027.

The basic idea is to increase fuel flow and reduce the MGU-K power output in qualifying to alter the power ratio closer to a 60/40 split in favour of the V6 that, potentially in combination with increased battery capacity, would make the driving demands much more normal.

Verstappen said this is “definitely heading into a very positive direction” when he addressed the proposal for the first time on Thursday at the Canadian Grand Prix and called it “the minimum I was hoping for”.

The more he discussed the matter, the more strongly he implied that it could guarantee he stays on the grid next year.

Asked if it boosts the chances of him saying, Verstappen said: “Yeah, definitely. I just want a good product in Formula 1 and that will for sure improve the product.”

He added: “The changes that will hopefully happen next year, that will already help a lot. Because I've always said it doesn't matter if I had a good car or not, it's just a product. And I think the product will improve like that. So naturally I think then the enjoyment will go up as well.

“It will make the product better, so that means that I'm happier and that's what I want to be able to continue in Formula 1.

“I'm not ‘yes or no’, it doesn't matter. For me, I'm happy where I'm at, the team is really progressing and that's also very exciting to see.

“I always wanted to continue anyway but I always wanted to see change and I think the change that's coming now is definitely very, very positive - or I would say almost back to normal.

“So that's good.”

Although it was claimed by the FIA that the proposals had been “agreed in principle” it is understood that there is no complete agreement on the details of the measures that should be enforced.

Any manufacturer that believes it has invested too much time and money into the rules as they were originally laid out - and has a competitive interest in not rowing back on the current engine power split - is unlikely to agree to the change willingly.

Williams driver Carlos Sainz said on Thursday, like Verstappen, that the 2027 proposal is exactly what he thinks F1 should do.

But the Grand Prix Drivers Association director added that “unfortunately like always in this sport there will be politics involved and different interests involved across the main manufacturers that will push back and push forward depending on what they're looking for”.

And Verstappen is wary of this too, stating: “That's why we have to wait and see until it's fully confirmed.

“But that definitely needs to happen.”