Williams convinces Sainz to sign multi-year extension

Williams convinces Sainz to sign multi-year extension

Carlos Sainz has committed his immediate Formula 1 future to Williams, after agreeing a multi-year contract extension despite a difficult start to 2026.

The Spaniard joined Williams at the start of last year because he believed that the squad was well-placed to make the most of this season’s regulatory overhaul.

But the results have fallen far below expectations, with the Williams car suffering from being late, being very overweight in launch spec and not having the pace needed to fight near the front.

The scale of the competitive struggles, and little hope of a turnaround this season despite a major new package coming for the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, fuelled doubts about whether or not Sainz would stay committed to the project.

Obvious options for him elsewhere over the long term included Audi, which he had spoken with prior to joining Williams, and Aston Martin that has endured an even more difficult 2026 campaign.

But despite clearly keeping an eye on the driver market situation elsewhere, it was announced on Wednesday that Sainz had agreed a new multi-year contract to stay at Williams.

No specific length of the contract was detailed, but it is likely there there will be options over forthcoming years.

The deal means that, with team-mate Alex Albon having also extended in 2027, that the squad will retain both its drivers into the new season.

Change coming

While Sainz has been left frustrated at times by Williams’ struggles this year, he says that signs of promise from changes being made at the team have left him convinced it remains the right place for him.

“There are many reasons to stay and continue to push with the team,” he said.

“First and foremost, because of the people who form this big family. I believe in the strength of the group in order to be successful, and I think the people at Williams have the right talent, motivation and passion to bring this team back to the top.

“There are also a lot of changes, investments and projects happening in the background that make me believe we are on the right path.

“We have hit a bump in the road this season, but we have all the right ingredients to bounce back and come back stronger.”

Sainz said that there had been some “transparent and honest” conversations with senior team management, including boss James Vowles, about what had gone wrong this season and what was needed to address things.

He felt it critical there was a “working environment in which everyone can take responsibility for their actions with a view to improving.”

He is sure that if Williams: “focus on the process, pay attention to the details and trust our instincts, I’m convinced the results will follow".

Team principal James Vowles is clearly delighted that he has convinced Sainz to stay, as losing him would have been a big blow to the squad in its efforts to move forward,

“He is a leader of this team, and I’m thrilled that he can see what’s possible as we continue to rebuild it,” said Vowles.

“It’s not just his race craft and speed that stand out, but the work he does behind the scenes in the pursuit of high performance.”